Monday, August 5, 2013

First time attending photography workshop


As I posted months ago, I was thinking to buy a NEX camera once I have my thesis done.
That was sometime early this year, but til now - 5th August 2013, I'm still not getting it done yet. (So embarrassing~)

 2 days ago, I have seen an advertisement about a workshop of shooting portrait using NEX camera. Even better, I can just go in without paying and get a camera loan there. How good is that.

I reached there sometime around 11am, paid RM10 for the cab, and walked around to find the shop and ATM. At that moment I nearly broke my promise to myself and tried to buy the camera before finished my thesis. But luckily I still hold that. I'm the earliest to reach there. Since the workshop started around 12pm, I have made some registration stuff as member first.

The shop owner is known as a very kind man and willing to share experience. I have some talks with him, but he was kind of busy. Around 12.30pm, we just only started the workshop at a room upstairs.

The workshop has started with some slideshow presentation. Surprisingly, after 10 minutes of the presentation, some familiar faces appeared at the door. Those were my seniors in Nottingham - Darick and Derrick. Damn it, such a small world. Although my friends knew them quite well, but I have never talked to them before. Anyway, I can see one of them recognized me but we didn't even greet each other. Just let it be~ Who cares~

The presentation was basically aimed to deliver some basic tips of how to use NEX camera settings. They also taught the Rule of Third, which I have already learned from books. The most important experience for me that day was that I have a chance to shoot a model. I borrowed a NEX-6 with SELP1650 lens from them and shoot at the model.

Actually the shooting session was around 40 minutes, however I had already feel bored just after 15 minutes. I have played with different effects of camera, and different angles of shooting on different posture the model to really spend that 40 minutes. I had also played with the viewfinder and see if I really need it. (NEX-5R don't have viewfinder) I found the viewfinder has a really good quality, unlike my compact camera Nikon P500. In overall, that camera is quite comfortably used and that was quite a good experience.

After that shooting session, they asked volunteers to show the photos the captured and tried to review together before they end the workshop.

I went to get my lunch after that and thought of buying the camera or not. At last, I still decided not to buy because I want to really make myself keeping my promises.

Hope I can finish my thesis as soon as possible. Camera....here I come.......

No comments:

Post a Comment